MangoOverload - Metafriending

Ban reason: Metafriending + Pattern of using OOC code words to communicate IC info
Length of ban: Appeal only
Events leading to the ban:  On round 43671 I got Thief, then I wandered around until I found the other thief, I then asked “Are you silly” And they nodded, I then followed them into a room where they showed their toolbox, which confirmed that and I pulled mine out, then the rest of the round happened.

Reason the ban should be removed: I feel like this ban should be at least reduced or removed, I understand what I did was wrong and I wish to improve upon myself by that, If I were warned prior to this, I would’ve stopped it as fast as it started, I love this community and I wish to rejoin them on the wizard servers, I apologize for what I did and I will make sure to re-read all the rules and try my absolute best to not break any in the future.

Hello MangoOverload,
The admin team has thoroughly reviewed multiple rounds and identified a recurring pattern that extends beyond the single instance referenced in the ban reason. The ban reason highlights the most recent round, but our concerns are bigger and beyond this. Before presenting this appeal to the admin team, I want to make sure you have the opportunity to share you perspective, including not only why these things were done, but how the admin team can be sure there won’t continue to be issues should you be unbanned.

OOC Antag Checking/Use of OOC code words (metacomming): The ban reason was due to a group of players including you using terms agreed on Out of Character (OOC) to antag check each other and generally using OOC codewords to communicate in round info which was confirmed through the review of replays. This is similar to meta communications, words or phrases with OOC meanings known only to a select group of players are used by those players to communicate current round information and then give them an advantage. The admin team wants to know how we can trust that you and this group won’t develop new ways of antag checking each other or metacommunicating in round info.

Friendly Antaging: We’ve also noted occasions where you, as an antagonist, have shown leniency or favoritism towards your friends, distributing contraband or objectives that provide them with an unfair advantage as opposed to any other player in the game.

I don’t have any excuses for how I acted with that friend group, and I haven’t interacted with them out of the game, so I’m not entirely sure how we even developed that and associated it with being an antag. But if I were to be unbanned I promise I won’t act like that ever in future rounds.

On 1/14/2024 at 11:17 PM, Jarmer123 said:

Hello MangoOverload,
The admin team has thoroughly reviewed multiple rounds and identified a recurring pattern that extends beyond the single instance referenced in the ban reason. The ban reason highlights the most recent round, but our concerns are bigger and beyond this. Before presenting this appeal to the admin team, I want to make sure you have the opportunity to share you perspective, including not only why these things were done, but how the admin team can be sure there won’t continue to be issues should you be unbanned.

OOC Antag Checking/Use of OOC code words (metacomming): The ban reason was due to a group of players including you using terms agreed on Out of Character (OOC) to antag check each other and generally using OOC codewords to communicate in round info which was confirmed through the review of replays. This is similar to meta communications, words or phrases with OOC meanings known only to a select group of players are used by those players to communicate current round information and then give them an advantage. The admin team wants to know how we can trust that you and this group won’t develop new ways of antag checking each other or metacommunicating in round info.

Friendly Antaging: We’ve also noted occasions where you, as an antagonist, have shown leniency or favoritism towards your friends, distributing contraband or objectives that provide them with an unfair advantage as opposed to any other player in the game.

To be honest, I didn’t know that what we were doing counted as Metacommunications. And now that I’m banned I see how it is considered to be Metacomming and I won’t do that again. to address Friendly antagging, most of the time I gave them a Syndicate pai with the spare TC I didn’t need. I will make sure to avoid doing  ANY  of this again. (Sorry for the second response, I noticed the other one was pretty bland and didn’t show any reasons why you should consider unbanning.)

This has been put to an admin discussion and vote and we come to the consensus to reduce the ban from indefinite to 1 month.

The discussions/ points for why this decision were made were mainly:

• History of issues, lots of notes, Keeping on your best behavior moving forward would be advised.
  • You have shown a willingness to change behavior after being informed previously, in this case it was probably not discussed to you directly and early enough. and your appeal seems to make good note you will modify the behaviors.
  • Non standard metacomms breach, this wasn’t a standard just on discord metacomms.

Appeal accepted with reduction, ban now ending on 13th Feb 2024 (13/02/2024)

From Accepted to Ban Appeals