CptJeanLuc's Admin Application

In-game Username: CptJeanLuc
Discord username: Wookyskill
Characters you play: Bronte Begum (usually)
How many hours are you available per day: ~10-15
Days you are available on: Every day at varying times.

Are you at least 18 years old? Yes.

How long have you been playing SS13 or SS14? SS14 for about a month, only on Wizard’s Den servers. SS13 as long ago as 2008.

Do you have prior administration experience (SS13/SS14 experience preferred, please also post a way for us to verify this)? Not on SS13/14, but I have admined for various different RP / Life servers in games including ARMA I, II, and III, GTA V, various Dungeons and Dragons discords for both long form campaigns and one-shot style setups.

Have you been banned from our game servers or SS13 servers before? Nope.

_ Answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you’d approach adminning. _

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?
Mostly bwoinking people to nudge them towards good behavior, paying attentention to ahelps to note down issues or bugs as well as address rulesbreakers/issues, and finally some light admemeing to enhance RP.

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the server?
I think its reasonable. It’s not too restrictive to become an unmanageable chore to moderate, while also not allowing blatant toxicity.

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?
I really enjoy the open-worldness of the game, and I think it would help me stay engaged with the community that seems very nice. Also, I program as a job, and I like to peer through the open source code. Being a part of seeing things play out with an active playerbase is a huge incentive for me to find joy in making PRs for small additions and tweaks to the game where it would seem to improve balance of stuff or add neat interactions. Mostly I want to see the community evolve and react to cool stuff in a fun way.

Other than banning problematic players, what admin actions do you believe have the biggest positive impact?
Admemes and events or prayer/centcom answers for sure. I think those are engaging and fun in an RP way (which admittedly need to be somewhat uncommon to remain exciting). Other than that, probably answering questions about the game and helping onboard/develop new players through the discord.

Have you ever had a negative experience in the game or with a game admin? If so what, if anything, would you do to prevent other players from experiencing this?
Mostly just miscommunication about the nuances of rules for admin interactions, and for players asserting things about IC play OOC. The first I think can be remedied by just being as consistent as possible in rule enforcement, and maybe with more detailed explanations. Honestly though, I find the combination of ahelp + discord communication to be mostly sufficient. The second, personally, I try to just take on the chin where possible and move along with my day as a player. As an admin I would handle them with as gentle a nudge as possible via messages/warnings.

Have you ever had a good experience with the game or a game admin? If so, what was it?
Oh all the time. I love getting to see players discover cool things, and find it really rewarding when other players have a fun time. Having played a lot of RP games I know full well that misery loves company, but so too does joy invoke joy. Its just more fun when everyone can experience the fun aspects of a game. I really like teaching other players about the mechanics (and love getting taught things I didn’t know). I recently had my first syndicate team up experience that went pretty well. We spent probably 15 minutes just day dreaming about the possibilities of everything in a super surplus crate. That really made me appreciate the incentive to play together from the help eachother missions. I honestly haven’t had that much interaction with admins that felt like an admin interaction, I find most of the time I only realize afterwards that what happened was admin related.

The following are scenarios, respond with how you would handle each as an administrator. Respond with the assumption that you are an administrator with full access to the admin tools, and that you have all the knowledge needed to use these tools. Respond in detail, explain the reasons behind decisions you make and describe any assumptions you are making. When you need to make an assumption, it is preferred for you to describe how differences in the assumption would affect your actions.

It is the start of the round. There are 60 players on the server. The game mode is traitors, traitors have not been selected yet. A chaplain prays to you “Give me a task my lord”.
If I decide to respond, which isn’t a guarantee, I’d probably roll a D100 or something: Traitor are already a thing. I feel like when players ask for something like this they are looking for something more special/unique than that. In the past I know admemes have been to give cult equipment or antag roles, but I think its also okay to just give tasks that are more mundane but funny. For example I might send them “Turn the station into bananas. Huh, Scub.” followed by a crate of goodies to make banana walls and floors or something. I kind of like the idea that the response should be loosely tailored to the kind of altar that was prayed on if possible.

You see a clown using crayon to write on the floor in front of security. The clown writings are negative things about security, like “shitsec”. A secoff tells the clown that they’re being arrested for vandalism, stuns them, and cuffs them. Before the secoff is able to get the clown into the brig, a passenger slips the secoff, causing them to lose their baton, then uses the baton to stun another secoff that comes to help as the clown runs away. The passenger escapes through disposals.
Well, that’s the game. Provided the player didn’t kill anyone, and only served to cause a relatively minor annoyance (or in this case you might even call it content) for the security players, then this feels like something that can be solved IC. Especially so if the passenger player had some previous reason for being miffed at the security, which I would think is likely if the clown is vandalizing ‘Shitsec’ on the floors. All of this assuming none of them are even antags, which of course would make it even more on brand. Without something more excessive this just feels like the gameplay loop – who hasn’t been arrested while not an antag for something?

You log in to handle an ahelp that came in while nobody was online about “self-antag” activity. The player being reported as self-antagging was being a problem and could be considered acting outside of the rules, but they are no longer online and cannot be contacted about their behavior. While outside of the rules, the infractions are minor and would not normally result in more than a warning in most cases.
If it was only very minor and warranting a warning, and they can’t be contacted in anyway then being honest, I would likely just let it slide. Its not like you can catch everything, and the player that was bothered by the experience isn’t going to be rectified anyway as the round has ended. At that point I think the best that can be done is to take a note of it, so that if similar behavior happens in the future admins can be more proactive about the player if online or if the behavior happens at a consistently understaffed time escalate to a harsher response like a short ban to get them to contact the discord or forum for the nudging they need to be a more rule abiding player.

Application accepted, please check your discord for instructions on how to proceed. Good luck during your trial period and welcome to the admin team!

From Accepted to Admin Applications