Kezu's Admin Application

In-game Username:  Kezu
Discord username:  kezu____ (four underscores)
Characters you play:  Rory Murray, Kaine Tolliver, Darvo Burntwing, Dseev Yu-awl, Truth Goodboy, Kato Knowitall, Petey Saint-Denis, End-the-Pain
On average, how many hours do you expect to admin per week:  I have a lot of free time since I work from home and don’t have any set work hours. At most I’d be in SS14 for 8-10 hours.
Days you are available to admin on:  Any day of the week.

Are you at least 18 years old?  Yes.

How long have you been playing SS13 or SS14?  I played a bit of 13, around maybe 20 hours. I’ve been playing 14 since July 2022, a bit after the nukie update. I have around 850+ hours, mostly on WizDen and a bit on the old Nyano servers.

Do you have prior administration experience (SS13/SS14 experience preferred, please also post a way for us to verify this)? None for SS13/14. I’ve been an admin for some Youtuber friends and their Minecraft servers.

Have you been banned from our game servers or SS13 servers before?  I haven’t.

_ Answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you’d approach adminning. _

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?
Primarily to keep things in order; to make sure rules aren’t broken and the servers stay as a fun environment for everyone. To stop and warn anyone about to be a detriment to the experience others have in a shift. Another job for admins is to help out new players when there’s no around or responding to them. I’ve had that happen to me once when I didn’t know the AME controller had to be under HV to work.

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the server?
Lacking. Salamander’s only downside is its lack of players, which shouldn’t be a problem in time. Lizard, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Leviathan feel more like NRP than LRP servers. People running around with names obviously taken from other media, replying “kk” to conversations, using emotes to speak, and being a feral Hammy are some of the many things that are normal to these servers. It seems like some players either didn’t read the rules or simply ignored the bare minimum. Another problem I see is people not caring about someone’s attempt to roleplay. I once had a Captain shift where I had to defuse an argument between a CE and his Atmos tech because the CE wanted to have some practice drills while the tech started fighting him about wasting the department’s time. At the very least in terms of roleplay, I’ve seen some notable crew members like Chance Boulevard’s robotic speech, James Baxter’s vocabulary only having James and Baxter or Sorts-the-Trash staying at Disposals.

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?
Because I think the servers need more people watching over them. In particular, I see a time window where there usually isn’t anyone to set things right. I live in Asia, and whenever I’m in SS14 during the afternoon, that’s where I noticed more shitter activity happens without any consequence since it’s the early morning in the West after all. The specific shift that made me want to be an admin was a Box Station shift where a lot of the crew grouped up and broke into the bridge. I don’t remember if there were bombs or armed murders, but it was just chaos that should never have happened. I’ve also had shifts around the same time frame where the nukies had someone who needed to SSD or got the double body bug, and there was no one to switch out the missing operative.

Other than banning problematic players, what admin actions do you believe have the biggest positive impact?
Besides helping new players like I mentioned earlier, the most memorable rounds for me are those where an admin does something to the station. Sending an alien envoy, a pirate attack, a space trader, a mysterious portal to some lizard planet, a treasure hunt for Gamecube pieces. Things like that. Players can shake up a round on their own, but it’s limited compared to what the admins can add to a shift. As a writer and DnD dungeon master, I’d love to be able to make unique things for the crew every now and then.

Have you ever had a negative experience in the game or with a game admin? If so what, if anything, would you do to prevent other players from experiencing this?
I’ve never had anything negative with the admins. For bad experiences, I can remember two that I dislike the most. As a secoff, I once confiscated a passenger’s bag full of contraband that they took from the syndie they brought in. They were really not having it and had some very nice words for me, even after I told them in LOOC that they’re going too far. The only reply I got was that “You shouldn’t play security if you can’t handle this.”. The stupid concept of shitsec is an ever present problem in the community, and that incident made me stop playing sec for months. Another was an RD shift where I had a few assistants to teach. One assistant was not having a fun time because a passenger kept them trapped going back and forth in a bluespace locker. I tried to ask him nicely to cut it out, first in character then LOOC, but that didn’t stop him. I eventually got the assistant free but he told me he didn’t want to bother learning anymore and jumped out the airlock.

Have you ever had a good experience with the game or a game admin? If so, what was it?
Responding to the many ahelps I send and getting something done is always a good thing for any decent player. I often either ahelp shittery or tell someone in LOOC to do it if I didn’t see what happened. Recently I’ve noticed Repo in particular responding a lot. While for “admeme” rounds, the best round for me was being a Chaplain during the first day of Fland. To sum it up, all I did was pray for cat ears, and by the end of the shift had the Captain and syndicate agents somehow working together against my pirate god.

The following are scenarios, respond with how you would handle each as an administrator. Respond with the assumption that you are an administrator with full access to the admin tools, and that you have all the knowledge needed to use these tools. Respond in detail, explain the reasons behind decisions you make and describe any assumptions you are making. When you need to make an assumption, it is preferred for you to describe how differences in the assumption would affect your actions.

It is the start of the round. There are 60 players on the server. The game mode is traitors, traitors have not been selected yet. A chaplain prays to you “Give me a task my lord”.
Depending on the altar, I’d make up a god for them to preach about and prep a speech. Since this is before traitor rolls, I’d give them either an item/animal spawned somewhere to hunt and sacrifice, or two/three followers to join in prayer at the chapel. That would be a task that isn’t antagonistic, involves going around and interacting with the crew, and is still fitting for a chaplain. I’d then decide where to go with it after seeing the chaplain’s roleplay and asking what they want in return. I’d prefer making it more of a give and take and adapting to situations. The key things I think are needed in responding to prayers/phones are making it something interactive with the crew, fits the role, and is something like a hook that pulls the story a certain direction while leaving the rest up to the player to choose their path. Something I learned from playing DnD.

You see a clown using crayon to write on the floor in front of security. The clown writings are negative things about security, like “shitsec”. A secoff tells the clown that they’re being arrested for vandalism, stuns them, and cuffs them. Before the secoff is able to get the clown into the brig, a passenger slips the secoff, causing them to lose their baton, then uses the baton to stun another secoff that comes to help as the clown runs away. The passenger escapes through disposals.
I’d ahelp and ask them to explain what they just did, something the admins usually do when I get messaged sometimes. I’ll tell them that as much as it seems like something funny, it might not be the same for the secoffs. In the first place, slipping and letting the clown escape is interrupting an arrest, and the clown should be out of the brig in 1-2 minutes anyway. If this passenger wasn’t a traitor, and one happened to come across him and saw the baton, indirectly they’d be helping that traitor do their objectives as has happened to me before. All they’re doing is making the round less fun for some people, and with certain words added to the slipping, pushing those people away from playing sec ever again. It’s important to hear them out first before telling them why that isn’t a good thing and what else it could lead to.

You log in to handle an ahelp that came in while nobody was online about “self-antag” activity. The player being reported as self-antagging was being a problem and could be considered acting outside of the rules, but they are no longer online and cannot be contacted about their behavior. While outside of the rules, the infractions are minor and would not normally result in more than a warning in most cases.
If they were on the WizDen Discord server, I’d send them a short message saying that some things he did recently weren’t good behavior. I’d let them know that what they did in itself is something minor but could lead to a self-antag rule break in some situations should they repeat it. If they weren’t on the Discord server, I’d take note of the time of the report and be online around that time to find them when they’re playing. Either way, a warning can be more than enough to get people back on track. I once got warned for wrong escalation, killing someone I thought was a potential traitor. All it took was an admin reminding me that shoving comes after talking, not taking out the knife, and I remember that warning whenever I’m in a similar situation again.

Application accepted, please check your discord for instructions on how to proceed. Good luck during your trial period and welcome to the admin team!

From Accepted to Admin Applications