Problems with Medbay Exam Room

So this applies specifically to Core and Oasis but the Exam rooms are untennable. Trying to run a halfway decent medbay on Core requires deconstruction of the glass walls that block line of sight for any doctors trying to figure out who needs treating. I spend a nonzero amount of time as CMO and Paramed walking to Engie to get a toolbelt and then walking back just to deconstruct medbay in Core and I always feel bad because the map has a lot of effort put into the details of medbay but the room is both too big and too claustrophobic. Chairs, reinforced tables, the glass walls, partitions, I get rid of it all just to try and run medbay with as little confusion as possible.

Now Oasis. Oasis is a whole other nightmare because it has doors that need to be removed at shift start which also requires Insulated gloves or a borg. These doors slow you down when you’re trying to get into any of the rooms and I end up tearing down all the windows as well. It’s also has no central table to organize topicals on like most medbays. Also, Chemicals posistioning in medbay means that the chem window they put the chems on is in the foot traffic of patients coming in through the waiting room. When we have emergency doors on this means chems getting stolen from the window which means chemists don’t use it. I’d almost just want the posistioning of Cryo and exam to just be swapped so at the very least we can see chem while we help patients.

I don’t mind medbays being designed to faciliate RP but I get a little peeved when I am remodeling every other game because Medbay is chaotic enough even with really good exam rooms [I usually think of Meta]

4 Likes

I agree generally but also I feel like part of the core design of Space Station 14 is about how moldable the world is. To me it’s always a little fun to have to deconstruct and rearrange those rooms to work for us.

That being said, I do wish it was a little easier especially as the CMO if I didn’t have to either scavenge for tools or ask someone from engineering to come and help. Especially on shift start when engineering is busy getting power running. At least on Core the tool room is right across the hall from med but still it’s an annoying detour.

Core also has the added frustrations with how the cameras, lights, lockdown switches, and defib boxes are all attached to the walls you want to destroy. So there’s a lot of extra work needed to clear that area.

I feel like maybe giving the CMO or paramedics a toolbox or full tool belt in either of their starting rooms would help. Also adding ways to deconstruct the cameras, defib boxes, and lockdown buttons would go a long way to improving that experience.

2 Likes

That would certainly help - I just always feel like I’m fighting the map rather than molding it. Just another list of things on my medstart chore list.