Samtaro's Admin Application

In-game Username:  Samtaro
Discord username:  Samtaro
Characters you play:  Tilty Scales, Joe Mendez, Davina Nomad

On average, how many hours do you expect to admin per week:  8 - 10

Days you are available to admin on:   Friday, Saturday, Sunday

How old are you?  30

Do you have any SS14 experience outside of Wizard’s Den servers, or any SS13 experience?  Yes

Do you have prior administration experience (SS13/SS14 experience preferred, please also post a way for us to verify this)? I administrate the Salacord, aka salamander Discord , Admins in the ss14 team can testify for this statement.

Have you ever been banned from any SS14 or SS13 servers?  No

Admins have the ability to perform various tasks which are not available to the average player. An incomplete list of these tasks is: in-game rule enforcement, in-game events, ban appeals, and out-of-game rule enforcement through things like replay/log reviews in response to player reports. With these, and any other tasks you’re aware of in mind, answer the following two questions.

What are you primarily interested in doing as an admin?  Primarily working on audit logging , verifying stories of ban appeals.  I would be very interested in learning this side and also front end work like admiring rounds.

What are you least interested in doing as an admin?  active intervention of rounds and events. I like when events or situations come up naturally in the round personally.

_ Answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you’d approach adminning. _

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?
Creating positive experiences for the players. This can come in the form of events, enforcing rules, going through logs of player actions to verify ahelps, generally just watching over the round and helping newer players 

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?
I want to help improve the RP atmosphere within the game. I personally have noticed a lot of scenario’s on MRP servers that i feel like needed intervention. In order to create a more positive experience, i personally feel that we are the change that we seek, and as such wish to be an admin to give back to the community.

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the servers?
MRP servers need some improvement , i see alot of people join from LRP servers and not even acknowledge basic SOP rules that are on the wiki. I have noticed alot people will just valid hunt or just outright do a job that isn’t their own. An example this is in medical where people try to serve themselves when there are clearly medical available. I do not like this mindset. For this specific case, it just ruins the idea of being a doctor.

Other than banning problematic players, what admin actions do you believe have the biggest positive impact?
Encouraging good RP and behaviour through inclusion of players in event roles, Giving feedback at the end of the round to players about how to approach certain situations that come up. Keep a positive attitude and open mind to the best of their ability when discussing ahelps with players.

Have you ever had a negative experience in the game or with a game admin? If so what, if anything, would you do to prevent other players from experiencing this?

I have had concerns with the way feedback was given. A specific example was when receiving feedback from an admin a year ago called Nairod. The conversation started out as accusatory as to where my actions were leading in regards to having a pocession of a PDA. I became defensive rather quickly because I knew what I was doing was the right thing from my perspective. However it became clear how this could be perceived as rule breaking as I could be just stealing the PDA. We had a back and forth until I was threatened with further action to be escalated rather than trying to get my point of the story. I promptly ended the argument because I didn’t feel like this needed to be escalated. 

Learning from this interaction and understanding that admin’s aren’t mind-readers, I would possibly change my approach as an admin to keep an open mind. Open questions about someone’s understanding of the rules , can help me find weaknesses in understanding a player would have about the situation. Asking a player why they did something for example would give the player room to either show a lack of understanding in the rules. This would be further backed up by the notes on the player. If there was anything similar they have done, i would also reference that behaviour and discuss why I’m taking the action I am taking.

Have you ever had a good experience with the game or a game admin? If so, what was it?
Ironically from the  same admin, about a year later from the negative experience. I was expressing concern at being bullied because my character was vulnerable to harassment (Narcoleptic). This bullying had occurred due to myself taking a CMO role that someone in the medical team wanted. For the entirety of the shift their friend and them went out of their way to make my job harder. This caused anxiety and stress for myself personally. Nairod went through the logs and explained action was taken in regards to my concerns. This made me feel like i was being heard rather than being dismissed. 

The following are scenarios, respond with how you would handle each as an administrator. Respond with the assumption that you are an administrator with full access to the admin tools, and that you have all the knowledge needed to use these tools. Scenarios intentionally leave out information so that you can describe how different details would affect your response. Respond in detail, explain the reasons behind decisions you make and describe any assumptions you are making. When you need to make an assumption, it is preferred for you to describe how different assumptions would affect your actions.

It is the start of the round. There are 60 players on the server. The game mode is traitors, traitors have not been selected yet. There are three players who decided to observe the round instead of join it orbiting you. Two of them are encouraging you to “do something funny”.

I would ignore them. Mainly because I don’t feel I should be obligated as an admin to do something just satisfy 2 people wanting a quick laugh. If they stay in the round. I may recommend them to take ghost roles so that they can make their own experiences. 

This scenario takes place on LRP. The Head of Security has decided to coup the Captain. The Head of Personnel agrees with the Head of Security and has taken up arms in case it is necessary to aid in effecting the arrest of the Captain. The Captain is hiding with the Quartermaster in the cargo shuttle to avoid the Clown who has stolen the captains saber as a non-antag. There are five people named in this scenario. Please describe what actions, if any, you would take in relation to each, and why.
I would first approach the captain and Quartermaster asking why does the clown have the captain’s sabre. I am trying to create the scene using the information from two parties and maybe glean some insight on the captain’s issue. based on the information the Quartermaster and the captain have given me, I may need to question further understanding of rules but , due to the immediate issues at hand I would then question the clown as to why they have the captain’s sabre. If the stories correlate ,  and if there is no foul play in regards to greifing i would follow up on explaining the rule of being a non-antag role whether or not there was greifing, and what that implies in regard to having items like the captains. I would  request they give the sabre back to the captain. I would request this from the clown, to prevent further issues or greifing that may arise by the clown having a captain sabre. If there were procedures in regards to non - antaging, and it being a first offense. I would go for the lightest punishment allowed. This is so the player knows not to do it again and also shows that we aren’t afraid to act on misbehaviour. During questioning of anyone involved including the Head of Security and the Head of Personnel, i would reference their notes and any previous misdemeanours. This is so i know the type of player’s i am dealing with, and whether this sort of behaviour is repeat behaviour.

Following up with the other two , the Head of Personnel and the Head of Security I would first ask them questions about needing to arrest the captain. I would be using more open ended questions as to get the story from them. Following up on this I would also ask the captain and quartermaster their side of the story. Based on the answers, i would follow up on open questions about rules they thought they might have broken, and what they think they “can do better and why?” Based on answers I would provide a reminder that as head’s of departments they should already have an understanding of the rules in game. If punishments in regards to SOP for admiring were needed, i would follow on that procedure, reminding them that being heads of the station gives them a lot of influence on the work happening on in the station.  i would try to resolve any rule breaking , with procedural punishments where needed based on all parties involved. All parties would recieve a note in regard to their actions and action taken would be noted. This is so if there were any further rule breaks admins can reference that behavior.

You are ahelping a player about an issue. The player has no prior noted issues. A few days earlier, an admin had told you that this type of situation should result in a temporary ban for a first offense, and you are confident that this situation is not substantially different from the type that admin was describing. During the ahelp, another admin pings you on Discord with a link to the ongoing ahelp and tells you to just indefinitely ban them and make them appeal. Excluding trialmins and headmins, all admins are equally “ranked”. A headmin is not currently available.
I would consider that the player in question has yet had a resolved ahelp to be considered a repeat offense, and therefore should be considered a first offence. Based on previous information a temporary ban would be emplaced and appropriate noting would be followed. The reason why i am okay with the temporary ban is because from my understanding, temp bans are usually at least a day or two. This means we can also wait for the other ahelp to resolve and act accordingly. This also gives time for a head admin to review the action that I have taken and possibly provide feedback as to whether further action should be taken. Based on the head admins decision , we would be able to come up with a conclusive punishment for the unresolved ahelp. all action would be noted and placed in player notes for future reference, so a similar incident doesn’t occur. 

Unfortunately i didn’t have time to edit any spelling mistakes. Apologies ahead of time.

Reviewing the information provided. I think there needs to be some clarity on some questions.

• In regards to my opinions on the state of roleplay within Wizden servers:
     When it comes to Wizden servers, I haven’t played on LRP servers consistently for nearly 2 years. So I can’t give much of an opinion of LRP because I try to avoid playing on LRP servers.
    Most of my experience comes from salamander, both in its infancy and currently. Naturally this means that I have a lot of opinions on the roleplay quality of Salamander.  

Previously, before HRP servers existed, a lot of people engaged in varying levels of roleplay that ranged from HRP to MRP. As the HRP servers appeared the more RP driven members of the community no longer wished to engage with Salamander anymore. As such I have noticed a slow deterioration in the quality of RP that occurs on Salamander. 

When the admins that interacted with the MRP community regularly disappeared ,and began working on their own HRP servers, I started to notice that MRP Salamander had begun to deteriorate into something alike YOG station in SS13. Where RP was ‘sorta’ present but wasn’t necessary, or rather that was the vibe I was getting.

Examples of this include, lack of adherence to SOP, regular instances of valid hunting, abuse of OOC chat to the point that it had to be removed, Main Character Syndrome instances, people not sticking to their roles and trying to be a “one size fits all” type of character, etc.

I can recognize that the RP quality has reduced in Salamander due to population size somewhat. Naturally as more  people join a round there is more chaos.  That being said, I feel less and less wanting to join a round of Salamander because the rounds are more chaotic and don’t give grounds to RP as much. Slowly rounds became more about “winning” rather than being funny or enjoyable.

A suggestion I would like to throw out there in order to solve this is to possibly halve the max pop of the server to approximately 50 and then have two separate MRP servers. one called Salamander and another called “Axolotl” or something similar, thus improving the balance of chaos and RP so that the rounds are “fun” but not just “slice of life” experiences.

• Previously I had written that the reason I want to be an admin was to give back to the community.
    How I would mainly hope to do this is through dealing with issues as they arise as much as I possibly can. I stated I can do 10 hours. That is my minimum. My goal is to foster the RP aspect of the game back into the community. Through incentives and recognition of good RP, this could come in the form of call outs after round and active encouragement. If later down the line I was to be given full administration permissions and privileges, I may in rare cases create events that could involve such people who actively RP and participate in RP. Thus fostering a more community driven experience. 

Another way I wish to give back to the community is through helping getting rid of problem players, so that people can enjoy the round. This  could be through auditing actions and providing them as evidence to ban appeals, actively paying attention to the round and responding to ahelps or just intervening in situations where I think rule breaks occurred and may escalate.

Application accepted, please check your discord for instructions on how to proceed. Good luck during your trial period and welcome to the admin team!

From Accepted to Admin Applications