Soupki

In-game Username: Soupki
Discord username: Sukilove
Characters you play: Kaleigh Straub

On average, how many hours do you expect to admin per week: 5-10

Days you are available to admin on: I expect to volunteer to be on at any day of the week for variable amounts of time.

How old are you? 27

Do you have any SS14 experience outside of Wizard’s Den servers, or any SS13 experience? No experience outside of Wizard’s Den servers. I have not played SS13.

Do you have prior administration experience (SS13/SS14 experience preferred, please also post a way for us to verify this)? Minor roles but nothing worthy of note.

Have you ever been banned from any SS14 or SS13 servers? I have not been banned or notified for any misconduct. I try my best to follow the rules to the letter.

What are you primarily interested in doing as an admin? I would be interested in mainly conducting rule enforcement and out-of-game rule enforcement. I quite frequently watch replays already so I would quite enjoy doing those. I wouldn’t mind doing ban appeals if it helps out the team. I frequently read admin questions and the forums for rule clarifications and keep up to date on what’s current rules for many scenarios. If I felt confident answering a question, then I would like to assist answering rules in the admin-questions channel.

What are you least interested in doing as an admin? In-game events are likely my least interested thing. I’m more interested in helping out the servers and admin team with ensuring a safe and fun environment. If it was needed out of me though I would take the time to learn and do them. I think others would be much better at setting those up though.

Detail Questions

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?

I think admins collectively foster a healthier community. They deal with tough scenarios and resolving conflicts that detract from the overall experience of the game. I think they help people learn and understand what they can and can not do which helps deter harmful behavior before it starts.

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?

I really got hooked on the game when I started out and had so many people teaching me what to do on the station. I just adore the positive community that helps each other out learning complicated tasks. I became a mentor for many people as I learned everything I could. I loved the teaching role, it’s beautiful to be able to help people learn how to do a role and see them learn and teach others as well. I want to take a step forward and help people with rule clarifications and help discourage any bad rule-breaking behaviors on the servers.
I think being an admin is all about communication. Informing/warning people that violate rules what they did that was in violation so that they can avoid it in the future. Listening to the intent as well as the actions that took place to understand the whole picture before escalation. Discussing with other admins about rule clarification, complicated cases, listening, and learning how to best handle situations so that I am as prepared as I can be for any situation.
I want to be a part of a team that helps to continue to build a healthy community and that’s my main drive to be an admin.

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the servers?

I have played mostly on Hopper as a mentor but I have played a good amount of time on Salamander, Lizard, and Leviathan as well. I’ll write them from highest played to lowest.
Hopper: I love playing Hopper. I really enjoy the mentorship community and teaching all the new people who come into the server and need help navigating the complicated interactions that occur within the game. I feel as there’s times where RP is lost because of raiders or self-antags who try to detract from the experience. I feel like Hopper is more vulnerable to those experiences as the crew is typically not experienced enough to handle those situations efficiently and needs more administrative intervention. However, I’ve found that the community perseveres and still encourages people to RP to their best ability even in tough and detracting scenarios.
Salamander: I quite enjoyed salamanders long RP format. I played quite a bit on salamander and I would again in the future. I think that it has a healthy community and from what I saw I did not see any large number of bad actors that detracted from the experience.
Lizard: I really enjoyed playing on lizard, it reminds me of playing on Hopper but everyone is way more experienced. I found quite a lot of people who have had really cool RP ideas and it was really fun experiencing that.
Leviathan: I haven’t had enough experience on this server to really talk about it much. I feel like what I have experienced has been in a similar vein to lizard.

Other than banning problematic players, what admin actions do you believe have the biggest positive impact?

I think talking to the community. I think many people I’ve run into on Hopper didn’t even know they were breaking a rule when they did something. I would love to just to help people learn and grow their knowledge on the rules through informing them. I think having a friendly experience with an admin even in a negative situtation/outcome is an overall positive to everyone involved. There are many who are just lost and need help or they unknowingly made a mistake and just need clarification on what they did wrong so that they can avoid it in the future.

Have you ever had a negative experience in the game or with a game admin? If so what, if anything, would you do to prevent other players from experiencing this?

I don’t think I have had a negative experience.

Have you ever had a good experience with the game or a game admin? If so, what was it?

I’ve called on admins for help in clarification and helping with raiders and every experience was dealt with professionally and thoroughly.

Scenario Questions

Scenario 1

It is the start of the round. There are 60 players on the server. The game mode is traitors, traitors have not been selected yet. There are three players who decided to observe the round instead of join it orbiting you. Two of them are encouraging you to “do something funny”.

In this scenario I would just encourage them to watch along with me or to take the ghost roles and create their own fun in the round. The open ended “do something funny” sounds like they want me to impact the round in some significant way that would entertain them but I think that there’s much more fun to be built within a round by participating within it or watching it unfold. I also don’t think it’s good to encourage people to pester the admins to intervene in the round as that can negatively impact the experience of other admins and the round.
If someone was talking in general about how much they love playing sentient cleanbot but how rare it is, I’d then consider making a cleanbot on the station into a ghost role and letting them know it’s open if I wasn’t preoccupied with other tasks. I think the occasional intervention for a minor gimmick is perfectly fine to do but I wouldn’t create or alter anything that would majorly impact a round.

Scenario 2

This scenario takes place on LRP. The Head of Security has decided to coup the Captain. The Head of Personnel agrees with the Head of Security and has taken up arms in case it is necessary to aid in effecting the arrest of the Captain. The Captain is hiding with the Quartermaster in the cargo shuttle to avoid the Clown who has stolen the captains saber as a non-antag. There are five people named in this scenario. Please describe what actions, if any, you would take in relation to each, and why.

I would communicate with everyone and get their side of things and figure out what occurred. I would also assess the situations and determine what reasonable action should be taken given the full context.
The breadth of questions would include but limited to,

1. What did the captain do that caused HoS to start the coup?
  2. Was the captain rule-breaking?
  3. If so did they a-help it if the captain was rule-breaking?
  4. How were they planning to enact the coup? Did the other command agree with the decision?
    HoS:
    I would assess if they talked to command about it first and what was discussed vs their intentions. If the captain was putting the station at extreme risk (rule-breaking) and they attempted to peacefully demote the captain after a-helping to stop something severe (like the nuke being armed by captain), then I’d just let them be with a context warning to avoid attempting to coup in the future. If the captain was doing something mundane, the HoS violated escalation rules and resorted to violence, or attempted to coup with no valid reason then I’d escalate it to a role ban.
    HoP:
    I would assess if they talked to command first and see if they had been engaged in the conversation. If they had been then I would ascertain their intention and role in this assisting of the coup. If the captain was putting the station at extreme risk (rule-breaking) and they attempted to assist in the peaceful demotion of the captain after a-helping to stop something severe (like the nuke being armed by captain), then I’d just let them be with a context warning to avoid attempting to aid a coup in the future. As long as they had proper reason to be armed I do not think that is a problem. However, if they were arming without a valid reason then it would and did not return after a warning then they would face a roleban. If they violated escalation rules or used the weapons with the malicious intent then I would deem a roleban to be fit.
    Captain:
    I would assess what actions the captain has done that started the coup. I would assess what proper action to take based on the whole picture of things. If the captain had planned on doing would significantly harm the station I would deem a warning to be fine. If they refused to listen to command, escalated to violence, committed significant harm to the station/round, then I would deem a roleban to be appropriate.
    If the captain was engaged in their normal duties, the coup was organized against them, even with talking to the other command members, then I would just let them be.
    QM: I would inquire to their role and perspective in this scenario to be. Given the current context of the scenario, the QM didn’t engage in anything other than following orders in this scenario so I wouldn’t consider providing consequences. However, if they did aid the captain in causing significant harm to the station/round then I would consider the appropriate consequences depending on the level of their involvement.
    Clown: I would firstly inform the clown that they can not steal something so high value as the captain’s saber. I would also ask the captain and the QM if they were hiding because the clown was an active threat that would continue to enact self-antag behaviors. If the clown was found to be either repeatedly engaging in self-antag behaviors, breaking escalation rules by stabbing people with the saber, or ignoring any warning and refusing to return the equipment peacefully, then I would consider a self-antag ban to be justified.

Scenario 3

You are ahelping a player about an issue. The player has no prior noted issues. A few days earlier, an admin had told you that this type of situation should result in a temporary ban for a first offense, and you are confident that this situation is not substantially different from the type that admin was describing. During the ahelp, another admin pings you on Discord with a link to the ongoing ahelp and tells you to just indefinitely ban them and make them appeal. Excluding trialmins and headmins, all admins are equally “ranked”. A headmin is not currently available.

In the scenario where all admins are the same rank I would first discuss the issue with the other admin that messaged me. I would like the full context, reasoning, and justification for the escalation of consequences. I would like to discuss it with them until we are in agreement on the justified action to take. If we are in confliction about it, I would encourage us to seek other admin’s to join in on the discussion so that it can be resolved in an agreeable manner. If no other admins were available to assist in the discussion then I would follow the standard course of action of temporary ban and then consult a headmin when they’re first available to discuss. I would then relay any gained information on what course of action was best deemed taken by the headmin and discuss it with the original admin so that we all can learn and grow together as a team.